Right now, I live amongst the Catalan and Spanish culture, and what’s very popular here, is Dulce de leche, which basically tastes like toasted condensed milk. I remember how my mom used to put that on her toast, for breakfast, and it was amazing!
I, however, cannot process dairy… so I found a way to make a vegan version of this. Think, “American coconut jam”. I say this because, it has the flavors of Southeast Asia, which is coconut.. and the, all american, “pumpkin spice”. =)
Here’s what you need:
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice
- In a non-stick sauce pan combine coconut milk, coconut sugar and brown sugar and bring to a boil. Make sure to stir until the sugar is dissolved completely.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and cook on low until the mixture darkens and becomes thick. This will take about 2 to 3 hours. Make sure to stir every 15 to 20 minutes.
- When the jam is done, and add pumpkin spice. Mix until well combined and allow to cool completely before putting it in the refrigerator.
- Transfer into mason jar and refrigerate. Spread on anything, and enjoy!